This update is for the Public Test branch of Valheim, and may therefore be unstable. Before we launch this update to the Default version of the game, we want to make sure to have a chance to discover bugs and adjust the balancing, to give you the best game experience possible.
Access the Public Test branch by right clicking Valheim in your Steam library, and then select ‘Properties’. In the new window, select ‘Betas’ and type in the code “yesimadebackups”. The Public Test branch should now be available for you to choose from.
Please leave any feedback you may have in the appropriate channel in our Discord, or in the subforum here on Steam.
As always, remember to be considerate towards players not partaking in the Public Test, in case they want to avoid spoilers.
Please also note that this update forces a fresh location generation of your worlds. This will cause slightly longer loading times the first time you open them, and it might slightly move some boss locations. The Frost Caves will also only appear in previously unexplored areas. Also note that the new content in this branch will not be fully backwards compatible with the Default branch. As the password indicates, please make sure to make backups of your save files before playing.
The fenrings stalking the Mountains at night had to come from somewhere. Now you can finally discover the strange frozen caves where their brethren reside – if you’re brave enough to face them. Maybe you’ll even be able to learn a thing or two from how they fight?
For this patch, we have also optimised the game for the Steam Deck. This also includes full controller support for PC as well, and a pause feature in singleplayer. That’s right, if you’re playing alone you’ll now be able to step away from the game for a moment without having to worry about being found by a troll!
GENERAL PATCH NOTES
Fixes & Improvements:
- Pause function in singleplayer
- Full controller support! (Gamepad legend and alternative glyphs)
- Gamepad text input when running through in steam big picture mode
- UI, settings and Steam Deck fixes
- FPS Limiter and reduced background performance
- Split dialog can take numeric input
- Signs can now be built without a workbench
- Bug fixes and quality of life improvements
- Armour stand now supports atgeirs and shield styles
- Nomap mode tweaks
DETAILED PATCH NOTES
Fixes & Improvements:
- FPS limiter setting and option to reduce GPU usage when minimised, menu FPS capped to 60
- Various console command improvements and additions, see console ‘help’
- Fixed some dungeon parts not being fully deterministic (ends)
- Nomap mode improvements (vegvisr alternative, nomap is server setting, max distance for shouting, random build/spawn rotation, ‘noportals’ command)
- Resolution now only shows refresh rate when forcing exclusive fullscreen
- Various UI fixes
- Recipes for Jack-o-turnip + Yule stuff disabled
Quality of Life:
- Building marker is more subtle and indicates piece rotation
- Corpse run gives carry weight bonus to compensate for unequipped belt
- Crafting stackable items while having full inventory now possible if there are are available stack slots
- Fixed a bug where sometimes stackable items won’t be taken when having full inventory and pressing ‘Take All’ in a chest
- Chat can now be closed using esc, mouse or gamepad B
- Full controller support!
- Controller legend visible in pause menu and settings
- Controller text input when running in Steam big picture mode. Chat, characters, signs, pets etc can now be named using the controller.
- Controller mapping of all game features
- Context menus will now always show controller buttons when using controller
- Alternative controller glyph style option
- Skills window scrollable with gamepad
- Crafting can be cancelled if pressing the button again (like with mouse)
- Fixed some missing/misplaced gamepad tooltips
- Steam Deck controller layout shows when playing on Steam Deck
- Loads default settings catered to the Steam Deck
- Improvements for several community translated languages